We, who know what came after the waiting…
We, who see the land of Canaan so neatly written several inches away from Ur on a map…
We, who shout, “Pump the brakes Abraham, sleeping with Hagar is not the answer”…
We, who know there’s an Isaac coming, and we know there’s an altar of sacrifice followed by the provision of a ram…
We, who know that the promises of God came to pass- in Isaac, in Jacob, and all the way to David, and further down the line to Jesus…
We, who see the fulfillment of that promise…
Yes, we declare Abraham to be a man of faith. A man of great stature and influence. A man with God’s blessing and favor.
Living and Never Seeing It
Yet, Hebrews 11:13 tells us that Abraham was one of the many who “died still believing what God had promised them. They did not receive what was promised, but they saw it all from a distance and welcomed it.”
Imagine that- living in this world always ‘waiting for the blessings and promises of God’ to be fulfilled, only to die without ever seeing them come to pass.
Yet Abraham didn’t waver in His faith. He kept on believing.
Oh, how my heart breaks for so many who feel like God has forgotten them. Those who’ve stopped believing God is good and that His goodness abounds over their lives. My heart is burdened for those who know what it’s like to live with heavy disappointments.
I know there are many trials you’ve had to endure. And I know the hurdles you’ve faced have seemed impossible to climb over. I know you’ve gotten tired and weary of waiting for the promises of God to come to pass.
I know you’ve probably looked around and wondered, “But, what about me? Is there no blessing for me, Father?”
Living IN the Blessing
There’s a way of living where we don’t simply reach for the blessings of tomorrow. Instead, we live IN the Blessing. The blessing of God’s Presence. Immanuel, God with us (Matthew 1:23). Being fully complete in Him (Colossians 2:10).
Can I encourage you today?
Ephesians 3 tell us that in Christ Jesus,
- You’ve been blessed with every spiritual blessing in the heavily realms (v.3).
- Before he made the world, God loved you and chose you to be holy (v.4).
- God decided in advance to adopt you into his family, bringing you to himself (v.5.)
- He wanted to do this, it gave Him great pleasure (v.5).
- God’s glorious grace was poured out upon you (v.6).
- You belong to Jesus (v.6).
- He is rich in kindness and grace towards you (v.7).
- God purchased your freedom with the blood of Jesus and forgave your sins (v.7).
- He showered you with kindness, all wisdom, and understanding (v.8).
- Because we are united with Christ, you have received an inheritance from God (v.11).
- He chose you in advance (v.11).
- He makes everything work out according to His plan (v.11).
- When you believed in Christ, He identified you as His own by giving you the Holy Spirit (v.13).
- The Spirit is God’s guarantee of your inheritance and that He purchased you to be His own people (v.14).
“He did this so we would praise and glorify him,” (Ephesians 3:14).
And when you fill yourself with this truth, you will be like Abraham- a man of influence, filled with faith, walking and living IN God’s favor and blessing.
You will be able to go through the obstacles of life with that same kind of ‘obstinate, stubborn, I’m not letting go‘ faith.
It’s that ‘never wavering, always believing, God is good and He is good over my life’ faith.
It’s the ‘faith growing stronger, I’m fully convinced God is able, bringing glory to God’ kind of faith.
It’s that ‘things look dead, I’m going to keep after You, roots growing deeper’ kind of faith.
It’s that ‘I don’t see a way out, I put my trust in You, I’ll keep believing anyway’ kind of faith.
It’s the faith that keeps you holding on to the Blessing, because only in Him do you find the joy that brings you strength.
Yes! Yes! Yes, my friend! There is a blessing for you to walk in. A blessing for you to live in. God’s presence. Right here. Right now.