Although you can pick any scripture to memorize, I like to pray and use scripture that best applies to our current situation. Recently I noticed a lot of bickering, quarreling, and plain old nastiness going on between my 14 year-old son and my 6 year-old daughter. I prayed about it and was at a loss about what else to do about this. I mean, how many times can we have the same conversation? How many times should we dish out consequences for their actions?
Their fighting is a heart issue and that’s what I want to deal with. Except I don’t have the power to change hearts. Only God can do the work.
Reading through the Bible, I stopped at 1 Corinthians 13 one day. We read through this passage and talked about it. That’s when I knew we needed to slow down right there and make this a part of our arsenal. With an answered prayer and the tools necessary for our situation, it was rime to get to work. This is the fun part.
Why Memorize Scripture?
Scripture memorization is one of the most important skills a parent can teach their children.
- It helps strengthen their memory muscles.
- Helps build their vocabulary.
- Helps build their faith.
- Helps them gain nuggets of wisdom and truth from God’s word.
How To Do It?
- Read through the Scripture.
- Print out a copy for your child.
- Set 15 minutes aside to work on memorization.
- Make it fun. Get excited when they learn each new line.
- Practice all week (15 minutes a day) until they learn it.
- Have them write the verse down once they’ve memorized it.
- Have them recite the verse to family.
Side Note (for homeschooling mommas):
Use Scripture memorization to work on building:
- Memorization skills
- Language and grammar
- Spelling (copywork)
- Public speaking skills (as they recite to family)
(contains affiliate link)
All you need is your Bible, paper, and a pen for this. However, for those who would like some pre-made printables to get you started, check out Trisha’s Write Through The Bible printables. They are too cute!
Q? What are some of your favorite tips and tricks for Scripture memorization? Share by leaving a comment below or on my Facebook page. I want to hear from you.
Know of someone who would benefit from this post? Go ahead and share it by hitting “Like” below or sharing it via email.
Don’t forget to subscribe by email (see top-right sidebar) to be notified when a new post goes up.